The Santos Girls

The Santos Girls
Bela, Sara & Jessica;
Sharing Our Experiences with the loved ones of our lives in our adopted country--USA--! And, of our birth country Portugal. Also, all the places and amazing people that cross our paths every day or simply return back to our lives...
Please feel free to leave comments.
Comments are what make blogging so fun and exciting. I am a sucker for them.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII



"What is THE "Super Bowl? “ Some may be asking themselves in my home country where my loving family and friends are fallowing this blog. So, I thought that this would be a perfect time where I would spend a few seconds and give a little bit of an explanation of "WHY" The Super Bowl is so important to us in the United States and have such a full meaning to us all here.

Super Bowl... The game is played annually on a Sunday as the final game of the NFL Playoffs. Is a professional football championship game conducted by the National Football League. Participants include the champions of the American Football Conference and the National Football League. The winning team wins the Vince Lombardi Trophy. And it’s in fact due to Vince Lombardy that the name of this game is “Super Bowl” and the trophy they winning team gets, is also in remembrance of this unforgettable player of his time. One of the most famous games in the history of football was the NFL championship game of 967, in which his team hosted the Dallas Cowboys in Green Bay on the last day of the year. This became known as the “ICE BOWL” because of the -13 game time temperature. This man marked a renaissance in sports interest in America's most transient of cities.

During the summer, of 1979 the hearty Lombardi suddenly began to feel less than his vigorous self. He was diagnosed with Colon Cancer in late June weeks before training camp for his second season in Washington. Although a long-time sufferer of digestive tract problems, Lombardi had avoided going to the doctor for it, and this delay may have hastened his illness and eventual death. He was treated at the Georgetown University Hospital, but by the time it was discovered, the cancer had rapidly spread from all over his body. Many made long journeys to attend his funeral and hardened football veterans wept openly at the service, held on September 7th. Honorary pallbearers included President Nixon, who during his eulogy to this “sport Giant” went so far as in his condolence to signed "The People".


This year Sara and I went to see the game at Andreia & Mário’s home.They are like family to us, and It was also cool to see other Portuguese friends... (That is always a treat). I had the honor of been with Fernando, Miguel, Nuno Santos (funny he has my younger brother's name) lol. Nuno's Fiancé Mary, My daughter Sara & her new…”Marine boyfriend… We loved this game…I (as always with my love for Sports, made a full out of myself giving my opinion and advices to how we should win)…And YES…I am always like to cheer for the “underdog”. Unless one of my favorite three teams are playing….Of course… Lol. Anyhow…I was definitely cheering for the Arizona Cardinals and we did SO good coming from 10 points behind to be ahead, until the last dang 3 or 4 minutes and then…what the heck just happened I can’t bring myself to accept…lol. But In fact I had the gratification of everyone saying that I provided a LOT more entertaining than the game itself… (Should I be mad? Lol) But I know that when it comes to sports I can get carried away.

I will say my opinion about this game…I hope I will NOT hurt anyone’s feelings here PLEASSSEEEE :=) Yeah...it was most certainly a great game. I guess that if the winning team wasn't so obnoxious and arrogant, I would be happier for them. The Cards should hold their heads up high. They did a great game and deserved to win.

VERSUS


Enjoy some pictures of our night :=)


No comments: