Enke's widow, Teresa, appeared at a press conference today and revealed her husband had been battling depression and was first treated for the illness in 2003. Teresa said Enke had feared that their adopted daughter Leila would be taken away if the illness became public knowledge. The couple adopted the eight-month-old in May. They lost their biological daughter Lara in 2006 when she died of a rare heart condition at the age of just two.
The Soccer player is well known in Portugal where he played for the Benfica team for some seasons. This goalkeeper was expected to be part of his country's World Cup squad next summer, and was the great hope of the Germany team. The German team will have a minute's silence in the next game against Seville and will wear black armbands." The friendly game against Chile was canceled.
I feel such a huge sadness for this great man who gave so much to a world sport that is one of the great passions of my life…SOCCER. I also feel an enormous unhappiness for the ways our society sees “DEPRESSION” as something that it’s an individual’s faults. I have heard people say things to patients suffering from depression that has made me feel so outrageous… such as: “Just get over it”, “You have to just learn to live with problems”,” Everybody has problems, if we were all to get depressed the whole world would be depressed”, or even more cruel stuff… such as: “You are such a wimp”, “Learn to get over it”, etc. Depression is something so much stronger than how is envisioned worldwide by our society, and is in NO WAY any less important than any other so called “Physical Health Problem”. In all veracity “Mental Health Problems”, are AS terrible to those who suffer from it, and in many cases are even worse than any so called “Physical Health Issue”. Gosh, sooooo many times a nice, polite, understanding, genuine caring and kind word can indeed save a life.
My heart goes out to this man who lost his daughter at the age of two… Burying a husband or wife is very painful, but having to bury a child is in every way against nature and I pray that I will never know the intensity of such pain…just as I always pray that I will never have to endure such hurting of outliving any of my children.
Rest in Peace Robert, and we here in our home hope that you now can find the serenity you were not able to find here on earth among us all. Thank you for all the hard work you gave to us all Sports fans, and for all the love you always showed to all Portuguese people during the years you lived in my city and my country...








2 comments:
Hey Doll Face,
Sono nella scossa, lei può crederlo? Indovino che ci Europeo ed una donna sorprendente ama lei che è una rarità in questo mondo, può sperimentare la ragione perché portiamo questa tristezza così giù alla profondità dei nostri cuori. Non posso credere che l'ultima coppa del mondo noi Italia abbia giocato Germania ed abbiamo giocato contro loro. Ha giocato per Barcellona, per Juventus in Italia. But he loved Portugal more than any of these other teams, well he married a Portuguese woman, so he did love your country doll face. Questo è veramente una grande perdita a tutto i ventilatori di calcio. I ringraziamenti lei per pagare del tributo a un giocatore così grande. And as always you just scored another 100 points in my book. Thanks for share with the world the sadness that depression is, so many idiots still call a depression something that only crazy people get... Thank you sweet for expose a reality and bring some awareness to this sad health problem. Thanks for forcing me a few months ago to start reading your blog, I must be now your greatest fan. Mi preoccupo così profondamente di lei. Arrivederci il mio amico sorprendente. Sono onorato così ed orgoglioso di lei. L'amerò sempre.
Portugal got a bad draw, but I know how mad you are about that, so I don't want to make you get even more upset...See that I didn't use any profanity? You can publish this shit lol. Plus I wrote mostly in Italian, I am a smart guy right? But you know very well every Italian word, so as long as you understand lol.
Love,
Papa Marco
Hey you are right, this is a great loss to every soccer fan all over the world. As you so well know unfortunately USA learned about soccer way after the sport was already implanted in Europe for many years... But you know that seeing as you always fight against everybody over this topic, and I have to admit that it was thanks to you and Marco that I have learned to love soccer. Hey great feedback on what Depression is, I wish that everybody could read your blog, because it has a lot of info and truth. So many illiterate people don't have a clue just how bad a depression can be. You forced all of us to support you by reading your blog, and I never cared for these things, but I am glad that you took my free will away :x I am impressed Ms. Santos.
I will see ya at work. :X
Post a Comment